This recipe is perfectly suited for our Phoenix Grills but, with a smoker box, works on our MHP or ProFire Grills too.
Smoked Bourbon Baked Beans
This recipe is ideal to make on a Phoenix Grill but with a smoker box can be made on any of our MHP or ProFire grills.
- 6 slices Thick Cut Peppered Bacon halved
- 1 medium Yellow Onion diced
- 3 Jalapeno Peppers (diced) For less heat, substitute 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 2 28 oz. Cans of Pork and Beans
- 3/4 cup Barbecue Sauce We like to use a Bourbon BBQ Sauce for this recipe
- 1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp Molasses
- Preheat your grill to 250˚ F using any mild or fruit wood.
- Preheat a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Cook the bacon pieces for 2-3 minutes per side. Long enough to rend fat, but not long enough to crisp thoroughly.
- Transfer the bacon pieces to plate with a paper towel on top so they can drain. Leave bacon grease in the pan and add the onions and jalapenos. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until they have softened and the onions are slightly translucent.
- Pour the cans of beans (liquid and all) into the pan. Add in the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and molasses. Stir to combine.
- Transfer the beans to an aluminum pan for use on grill. Place the slices of bacon on top of the beans and bring to the grill.
- Smoke, uncovered, for about 3 hours, or until nearly all of the fat has rendered from the bacon and the beans have thickened up nicely. Remove from the grill and serve while warm